Friday, November 07, 2008

Sinbad's Last Voyage


As the Earth readies itself for war with the invading Albegensi, Navajo Andrea Talltrees travels to the Thieves Quarter to hire halfbreed smuggler Sinbad sh’en Singh to find her fugitive-from-justice husband. When they meet, however, it’s an immediate clash of cultures as well as personalities--plus a heavy dose of instant attraction! Refusing to admit that he has fallen in love with a hated Terran, Sinbad reluctantly takes Andi on a journey that will carry them halfway across the galaxy, where the part-feline smuggler will call on some old friends for help and face one deadly enemy with an old score to settle. In their search for Andi’s husband, they’ll uncover a secret invasion that threatens to destroy the war-torn Terran Federation, and will learn that it doesn’t matter how long a person loves but simply that he does love. (Blurb borrowed from the publisher's buy page for this book)
I have to say I enjoyed this story very much. The world the characters live in isn't one I'd like to find myself in but it's quite unique and very well done. I had no trouble visualizing the scenes and liking the characters, particularly Sinbad.
Definitely a 5 Djinn keeper.
buy it here:

6 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

I can't wait to read this!

Nightingale said...

Toni is a superb writer with a fantastic imagination.

R.S.Cole said...

Hey Penny, I'm a Harryhausen enthusiast and stop motion animator. I've been toying with the concept of bringing Sinbad back to the screen in the original Harryhausen style. In playing with story ideas, it struck me to look for existing novels but, was very surprised by the lack of them. This book 'Sinbad's Last Voyage' seems to be the best I've seen reviews for. I don't have time to read (unfortunately) so I was hoping you could fill me in a bit about this book? No need for story details, I just need to know if this is the sort of Sinbad story that has creatures and action similar to what the Harryhausen film were like. If the answer is 'yes' the I will make the time to read this novel in the interest of translating it into a film.

R.S.Cole said...

Since I wrote the last post, I found a place where I could read the first couple of chapters, It sounds like a very good story but, not at all the Sinbad I was looking for. No need to reply to my previous post. Sorry.

Scarlet Pumpernickel said...

Interesting review! Toni Sweeny is a very talented author. Can't wait to read Sinbad's Last Voyage.

Scarlet

prashant said...

Toni is a superb writer with a fantastic imagination.

How to make a website